Thursday, March 1, 2012

Horribly Named Childhood Ailments

Some of the names of common childhood ailments leave a lot to be desired.

Slapped Cheek? Great, someone hit your child. Never mind.

Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease? Terrific, your child has been mingling with cattle. Again, never mind.

Well, we here in the Brown family have been forced to learn a thing or two about Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease. (Which, by the way, has nothing to do with Hoof and Mouth Disease.) Miss Maisy contracted it sometime, somewhere (really, I have no idea: the incubation period is 3-7 days and we go so many places with so many people that it could have been anything). Hers started with a fever and malaise a week ago Wednesday, and then the namesake rash and sores of the hands, feet and mouth began to make their appearance. She's my only child and this is my only experience with this virus, but I'd say she has a medium case. She's a tough cookie, our Maisy. When properly medicated (thank goodness for ibuprofen), an observer generally wouldn't think a thing were amiss.



Of course Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease [why disease? why not virus?] is highly contagious. Maisy shared it with at least two friends before I knew she had it. Of course I feel terrible. But it is also a relief to have a playmate, since we're otherwise on kid quarantine.

Grace reads with Maisy and Liam.
You may recall a photo in a previous post where Maisy is kissing Liam.
Guess it's no huge surprise that she gave him the virus, is it?

Hand, Foot and Mouth primarily affects young children, and very rarely affects adults. Well apparently I am one special adult, because I have it, too. I took a picture of the sores on one of my hands but I decided not to post it here. Suffice it to say they are numerous: I stopped counting at 25. Ugh.

But the good news is that Maisy is nearly all better. And I know I soon will be, too.

Here ends today's lesson on horribly named childhood ailments. I hope this will be the first and last installment!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Poor Maisy. And poor Ms. Laura Brown! I'm so sorry to hear that. It's amazing the things we pick up from these little disease monsters! Wishing you all good health. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you got HFM too! I remember when Lilia and Johanna had it--in Lilia's case, the blisters in her mouth were painful enough that she didn't want to eat. Not even her birthday cake (she got it just as she turned 2). Hope you are better soon!

    ReplyDelete