Friday, August 17, 2012

"The Coldest Winter I Ever Spent...

...was a summer in San Francisco.''

Most of us who live in San Francisco hear this quote often. Often. And it is usually attributed to Mark Twain, but just now I googled it and the Internet (which is always right, you know) says that Twain didn't say this. Who did? I don't know and that isn't the point. The point is that it's often foggy and windy in summer. Sigh.

But even with fog and wind, we do manage to have many absolutely beautiful days, not all of them sunny. And on these gray or sunny days, we have many more adventures and special everyday moments. Here are several photos from this summer. I've fallen so far behind!

Around the time of her second birthday, we showed Maisy television for the first time.
Do you think she likes it?
So far she's only seen Caillou, an animated kids' show from Canada that is on PBS.

Maisy loves playing with Daddy.

In anticipation of toilet training, I bought lots of undies for Maisy. She loves them, but doesn't quite understand how the whole underwear thing works... 

After we turned Maisy's car seat to the forward-facing position, she discovered a new passion for "driving" the car.

We went to a birthday party at Lemos Farm, a hobby farm in Half Moon Bay. They had pony rides, but Maisy would not ride a real pony. This one was a little more her speed.

My friend Leslie is a teacher, so she was off for the summer and Maisy and I had many adventures with Leslie and her daughter Ella. (Although tall, Ella is only about six weeks older than Maisy. We four spent a fair bit of time together during the girls' first year, before Leslie returned to teaching. Last summer, we went berry picking.) Our last outing this summer was to play at Dolores Park and have ice cream at Bi-Rite Creamery. Yum!

Our friends the Griffiths passed through San Francisco en route from Beijing, where they lived for the past 18 months, to Seattle, their usual home for the past 10 or so years. Mark is an avid photographer, and captured this lovely image of Maisy.
Now that I've both caught up with some images and complained about the weather in San Francisco, I think I'm ready for a summery vacation! Dave, Maisy and I leave tomorrow for a week with family in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. We can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely pics. Come visit us in lovely Marin and leave your jackets and scarves at home! Floyd and Orion <3 Maisy!

    ReplyDelete