Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Wrapping Up 2014

In the spring, Maisy's preschool has a celebration where the kids parade by the school and then families gather in the school yards to socialize and snack. In the past this celebration has been called Dragon Heart Parade because it happened on or around the Chinese New Year and Valentine's Day. This year the school decided that since it celebrates no other holidays, it was best to reinvent the celebration as Family Fun Day. A little generic, sure, but other than the fact that the kids paraded with a banner instead of a dragon, the afternoon was basically the same.

On Family Fun Day, the "big kids" from Maisy's Big Garden class and the Big Bay class sang a song after parading by with their banner. It contained the lyrics: 

The sun is in my heart, today. 
We have family. 
We have friends. 
Together we are strong.

It was sweet to hear the children singing and see them sign some of the words, as well. 


Today as I attempt to catch up on my blog I am struck by the power of the lyrics as they relate to the last several months of our family's life. Especially in December and January, we turned to many friends -- both friends we have known for years and newer friends from the Cow Hollow School community -- for help and support. Elizabeth surprised us by being born at 35 weeks gestation and spent the first week of her life, including her first Christmas, in the Intensive Care Nursery at UCSF. And after she was discharged from the hospital, we were asked by her pediatrician to keep her cocooned at home in order to protect her from viruses. These circumstances would have been challenging no matter what, but considering we also had a four-and-a-half-year-old to care for, they were doubly challenging. Dave was an amazing parent and husband. My mom came to visit and help twice. And so many friends helped with Maisy, with food, and with other kinds of support. 

The sun is in my heart. I am filled with gratitude.

Here are some photos from the end of 2014 and early 2015. (Don't worry I haven't forgotten Elizabeth! I'll also write a separate post with photos from her first months.)

Maisy sleeping in my pregnancy pillow.

Judy and Catie visited us again this year.
Here are Maisy and Catie all dressed up!

Maisy and Dave at work.

Maisy and I made marbled paper.

Maisy drawing a picture of Grandma, her Christmas tree, and Maisy.

Liam, Maeve and Maisy
(I was in labor at UCSF)

Ella, Maisy and Olive
(I was still in labor at UCSF)

Boon, Maisy and Tao
(Maisy helped the Ong family get their Christmas tree!)

Kate, Maggie and Maisy
(Christmas Eve)
Santa and his Elf

Maisy made herself a Santa Claus beard!
Maisy and August

Finn and Maisy




1 comment:

  1. Love that last picture with her perfectly messy hair. What a doll.

    Thank heavens for wonderful friends! So happy you have a community of supportive people!

    ReplyDelete