In past years, Dave and I skied at Lake Tahoe area ski resorts as often as every-other weekend during the winters. We haven't maintained this frequency, and in fact, in recent years have gone on just a few trips each season. The last time I saw snow was in early 2010!
And Maisy? Never in her 2.5 years of life had she seen a real snowflake (I don't think the machine-made "snow" in the Academy of Sciences' piazza counts)! At some point, after buying her both snowman and snowflake pajamas, and reading her several books featuring snow, we realized we really ought to take her to see -- better: to experience -- the real thing!
We made our travel plans, and were lucky to experience both Spring temperatures allowing Maisy to enjoy the snow without subjecting her to too much cold, and fresh snowfall. (I should say, the snow was rain at our cabin (see above: Spring temperatures), but was snow at altitude.) We were also lucky that our good friends Grace, Patrick and Liam were able to join us. Maisy and Liam had a lot of fun sledding in the cabin's back yard and at a nearby sledding hill, as well as exploring the cabin and ogling firefighters and fire engines at a community pancake breakfast.
It was a great weekend, and we look forward to returning to the snow next season. Hopefully, with more frequency! And hopefully, at 3.5 Maisy will be able to try skiing!
![]() |
| February 28, 2013 Snow! Our friend Patrick Linskey gave Maisy a snowball maker. Needless to say, it was a HUGE hit! |
![]() |
| Snowman! Maisy and Dave made this snowman the afternoon we arrived. The next day, he melted away. |
| Maisy and Liam really enjoyed the piano at the cabin. |
![]() |
| A worn-out girl on the way home. |



Maisy loved the snow even more than I hoped. In preparation for the snow visit, I kept reminding her that it is COLD, lest she be put off by temperature. Looking forward to all of us skiing together next winter!
ReplyDeleteHmm. Did you consider taking Maisy to MN in April?? ;)
ReplyDelete