Thursday, June 14, 2012

Outstanding in the Field

Dave and I try to have a date night each week. It's such a treat to have a few hours together out of the house, without to-do lists, computers and the like to distract us from each other's company. This week we had an exceptional date afternoon/night at Secret Sea Cove in Santa Cruz.

Our old friends Adam and Mary invited us to join them for an Outstanding in the Field event. OITF travels the country putting on spectacular dinners events in fields, on beaches, and in other settings close to the food's origins. I crossed-out "dinner" above, because it wasn't really just dinner. I mean, imagine driving down a little farm road, parking in a field, and then rounding the corner to an astonishing ocean view, an outdoor kitchen in another field, and a bar serving wine and mixing strawberry-infused cocktails. It was kind of like an awesome wedding reception, except we didn't know anyone other than Adam and Mary! Long family-style tables were set on the beach, and a giant bonfire was waiting to be burned. It was pretty incredible.

Of course the meal was wonderful (spinach, peach, ricotta, nasturtium salad, and cedar plank grilled salmon, were just two of the eight organic and locally-sourced offerings at dinner), but it's really the setting and the concept that we'll never forget.

Dave and me at the dinner table. The unlit bonfire is over my right shoulder. It was a beautiful, sunny and clear day, but it was windy and cold. Once the sun left our table, I donned my down jacket. And I was still cold. But it was worth it! 
Dave walking on the beach at Secret Sea Cove.

1 comment: