Monday, November 5, 2012

Giant Strawberries and Pumpkins Running Around

The title of this post is my quick-and-dirty attempt to incorporate the all the pieces of this post into one title. I thought I'd try to be a little creative, rather than just call it "Late October". Ha!

I really like autumn, and especially in the Bay Area where we are just as likely to have a cold, rainy day as an 80-degree one. Or at least that has been the case this year!

In appreciation of fall, we planned an apple-picking trip with our friends Leslie, Steve and Ella. Alas, a vehicle accident blocked our way to the orchard, so we formulated a Fall Plan B and headed for a pumpkin patch in Half Moon Bay. Maisy and Ella had lots of fun, and we still got to spend a great day with our friends.

Maisy and Ella

Ella, Leslie & Maisy in a house made of hay

Dave giving Maisy a ride in a wheelbarrow
Fall also marks the end of the baseball season, which was particularly exciting for us this year in San Francisco as the Giants won the World Series! Rewind a few weeks: thinking we ought to seize the opportunity (after all, just because the Giants won in 2010 and went again in 2012 doesn't mean it couldn't be a lifetime before their third trip) and mentally spreading the cost of the tickets over a few seasons (I hadn't been to a game since I was pregnant), we decided to go to Game 1. It was an incredible game, with Pablo Sandoval hitting three home runs and the Giants beating the Tigers 8-3. Go Giants!

Me with our friend Alicia

Dave and me
The month ended, of course, with Halloween. More on that in another post, because other highlights at the end of our month included a visit from our dear friend Rebecca, and my run in the Healdsburg Wine Country Half Marathon. As always, we had a wonderful time with Rebecca and miss her lots already. And as for that run of mine, well, I never would have done it without her consistent support and friendship from across the miles, combined with Dave's here at home. Thirteen-point-one miles is a bit further than I care to run, but the Geyserville-to-Healdsburg course was beautiful, and it was all worth it as I approached the finish and saw and heard Dave, Maisy, Rebecca and Buster cheering me on. It was all I could do not to skip the finishers' chute entirely and just run to them! I love my family and my friend.

Maisy holding my finisher's medal

I did it!
OK, just one pre-Halloween photo:

Dave and Maisy decorating pumpkins at our friends the Greenes' Halloween party.
Heather and John went all out and threw an awesome afternoon party!



No comments:

Post a Comment